Tears flowed freely in Onitsha as fire destroys property worth over N200 million.The property was stocked in a three-storey building at Nkpor junction in Onitsha, Anambra State. The fire was said to have been caused by chemicals stored in drums in one of the three-storey buildings at No 1 Afam Uzugwu in Nkpor junction . An eyewitness, Mr. Clement Okeh said the fire started from a three-storey building and spread to other surrounding buildings before the fire service stopped it from spreading.
The Vice Chairman of Red Cross Society in Anambra, Prof Peter Katchy confirmed that one lady, who jumped from the three-storey building sustained injury and is currently receiving treatment.
Katchy said the fire was caused by explosion from chemicals packed in drums in the building, saying that the fire service from Okpoko responded promptly but the intensiveness of the fire, made them to alert another fire service from Awka to support them to put out the fire.
He, however, warned residents against keeping any flammable material or object in the house to avoid explosion or fire outbreak.
Some of the victims of the fire, Mr. Afamefuna Okwuora and Mr. Peter Nzele, whose flats were completely destroyed by the fire, said they lost property worth over N3 million, calling on federal and state governments and corporate bodies as well as good spirited individuals to come to their aid.
Article Credit : Odogwu Blog